The DOJ’s political attacks on Americans are growing bolder.
They are also growing more dangerous.
Now Joe Biden’s DOJ has set a new ‘horrific precedent’ as they convince a D.C. jury to take this action against 5 Pro-Lifers.
A Washington D.C. jury recently found five peaceful pro-life activists guilty of violating federal law.
Biden’s DOJ: Take lives and walk, save lives and go to jail
The five were convicted under the federal Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act for merely attempting to prevent the murder of unborn babies at the D.C.-based Washington Surgi-Clinic late-term abortion facility in October of 2020.
This included their efforts to stop the murder of late-term babies that are being performed at the abortion mill in violation of federal law.
Lauren Handy, Herb Geraghty, Will Goodman, John Hinshaw, and Heather Idoni were convicted for their attempts to save lives.
Now the five pro-life advocates are being held in prison awaiting sentencing.
Each defendant faces as much as 11 years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of up to $350,000.
They also will be held in prison until sentencing is scheduled.
CBN News reported, “The five pro-lifers named in this trial – plus another five pro-life activists – made plans for a sit-in protest at the facility. They sang, prayed out loud, locked arms in front of the facility’s staff entrance, and attached themselves to rope and chains to block doors in the building as a means to “delay the murder of kids.”
“Handy, who is the lead defendant in this trial, made headlines last year after authorities recovered the fully formed bodies of five aborted babies that she had discovered. But rather than investigating the deaths of the late-term babies, authorities went after Handy instead.”
Naming a scapegoat
Police arrived at the abortion mill that day and attempted to remove the pro-lifers.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Sanjay Patel blamed Handy for the events that occurred that day.
Handy is an activist with the Progressive Anti-Abortion Uprising (PAAU).
“This entire event, the invasion, the blockade, this case—it’s all because of her,” the DOJ attorney said.
In statements on X, the PAAU said its defense attorneys, The Thomas More Society, believe they have “strong grounds to appeal and feel optimistic that a higher court will later rule in their favor.”
The defense attorneys feel they have strong grounds to appeal and feel optimistic that a higher court will later rule in their favor. This may even go all the way to the Supreme Court. In the meantime, our hero rescuers await sentencing.
— PAAU (@PAAUNOW) August 29, 2023
PAAU added, “Rescue CANNOT and will not be stopped. This case was an effort by the US government to isolate and intimidate Rescuers and anti-abortion people into believing they would face significant jail time for living in alignment with their pro-life values.”
“We are, of course, disappointed with the outcome,” said Martin Cannon, senior counsel with the Thomas More Society. “Ms. Handy has been condemned for her efforts to protect the lives of innocent preborn human beings, something she should never have been arrested for.”
He added, “We are preparing an appeal and will continue to defend those who fight for life against a Biden Department of Justice that seems intent on prosecuting those who decry abortion and present it as it is—the intentional killing of children in utero.”
“A horrific precedent”
Lila Rose, the founder and president of the pro-life group Live Action said the jury’s decision has set “a horrific precedent for jailing Americans for exercising their 1st Amendment rights.”
“From the beginning, this trial has been a sham with a completely biased pro-abortion judge who has made a mockery of our justice system. This decision will be appealed, and we demand it be overturned. These activists are heroes, and the Department of Justice has acted capriciously and illegitimately. These charges stem from the FACE Act, which exists to target and chill the free speech of pro-life Americans,” she said in a statement. “Their acts of bravery to protect innocent human life from notorious D.C. abortionist Cesare Santangelo have been punished by the corrupt DOJ.”
Handy’s defense attorneys tried to submit a 2012 Live Action undercover investigative video of Dr. Cesare Santangelo, who runs the abortion mill, admitting any children accidentally born alive during abortions would not receive any medical assistance to survive, in violation of federal law.
However, U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly claimed without any proof the video was “heavily edited,” claiming the abortionist’s video confession is just “gossip from propagandists.”
Pro-Life Press will keep you up-to-date on any developments to this ongoing story.