No matter how small: Greyson’s big journey home

Photo by Aditya Romansa from Unsplash

A person is a person no matter how small. 

Pro-lifers have been shouting this from the mountain tops for years to underscore the need for babies in the womb to be protected. 

But the message really hits home when you hear a story like this one. . .

A darling little boy named Greyson Butler has achieved a remarkable milestone – after spending the first 16 months of his life in the hospital as a micropremie, he is finally going home with his family.

Greyson’s journey began on June 27, 2022, when he made his premature entrance into the world a staggering 16 weeks ahead of schedule. 

Weighing a mere one pound and two ounces at birth, he faced an uphill battle from his very first moments.

His parents, Monae Harper and Jeffrey Butler, experienced a whirlwind of emotions upon his arrival. 

“I was instantly worried, but I didn’t know that this journey was going to be this long,” expressed his mother, Monae, in an interview with CBS News New York. 

“Even when we held him, we were so scared because it looked like he was going to break. He was so delicate.”

Greyson’s father, Jeffrey, echoed the sentiment, stating, “When he was born I was afraid to hold him. He was so small, he was one pound, two ounces, he was a micro preemie.”

Greyson’s initial days were fraught with numerous medical challenges, including a congenital heart disease and chronic lung issues. 

His little body required a staggering 15 blood transfusions, he underwent two surgeries, and battled pneumonia five times.

His mother, Monae, described their journey as a roller coaster, with both heartwarming highs and gut-wrenching lows. 

“Many days are so good, but a lot of days are stomach-crunching, and you can’t even hold your head up. I knew it was a long roller coaster, but I didn’t know it was going to be this long.”

Throughout their arduous journey, the Butlers found strength in the unwavering support of their family and friends who stood by their side from day one, refusing to give up on their little fighter. 

Today, Greyson has transformed into a healthy, thriving baby, weighing an impressive 20 pounds. 

Dr. Dennis Davidson of Blythedale Children’s Hospital attested to Greyson’s remarkable progress, saying, “I come in the morning, and I know he’s okay because if I tickle him, he rolls around laughing, and he throws a towel over his head.”

Medical experts involved in Greyson’s care have conveyed promising news about his long-term prognosis. 

“He was a fighter, he fought this whole way,” Monae declared, beaming with pride. 

Monae reflected on the journey, saying it was full of “a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of tears, a lot of prayers, a lot of cries.” 

However, amidst the trials, the family never lost sight of their deep faith and unwavering hope. 

“Overall, a lot of smiles because my son is here right now. He’s a miracle baby.”

For Jeffrey, Greyson’s journey is nothing short of miraculous. 

“I think it’s a story of a miracle. He never stopped fighting. There’s a lot of situations I’ve been through that I wanted to just throw in the towel, and I’m like if he could – he’s here every day, he never stops fighting – then what am I gonna stop fighting for?”

Greyson’s remarkable triumph serves as a source of inspiration for pro-life Americans, highlighting the resilience and fighting spirit of even the tiniest among us. 

In many states, it’s legal to abort a baby in the womb who is the same age Greyson was when he was born. 

Don’t all these babies deserve a chance to grow and to thrive like Greyson? 

Greyson’s journey reminds us that every life is precious and worth fighting for, no matter the challenges that may arise. 

It’s a testament to the power of faith, love, and the unwavering support of a caring community.

Pro-Life Press will keep you up-to-date on any developments to this ongoing story.