Pro-life college students were attacked on campus and the reason why will infuriate you

Photo by Maytham Al-Zayer from The Daily Northwestern

In a shocking incident at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, the spirit of free speech was put to the test. 

If you haven’t heard of a “Free Speech Ball,” you aren’t the only one. . .

But the popping of a free speech ball might just be indicative of what’s happening in America today. 

A Leadership Institute Free Speech Ball (literally a giant inflatable ball meant to encourage free expression of beliefs), brought by the Arctic Students for Life, was viciously slashed during a pro-life event. 

Despite this act of vandalism, the pro-life advocates stood resilient, refusing to be silenced.

The incident occurred on the night of Saturday, September 23rd, during the 100th Anniversary of Starvation Gulch, an annual welcome week student tradition. 

The Arctic Students for Life, the campus chapter of Students for Life, had set up a table at the event, seeking to engage fellow students in discussions about their pro-life stance. 

With prior approval from the university, they brought along the Free Speech Ball, an inflatable ball on which students could freely express their thoughts and opinions with Sharpies in hand.

The Free Speech Ball quickly gained popularity, attracting a large number of students who eagerly signed it with their messages. 

However, the night took a dark turn when an unidentified assailant slashed the ball, causing it to deflate. 

Despite this setback, the pro-life students remained undeterred.

Leadership Institute Regional Field Coordinator, Trevor Benson, revealed the incident and shared photos of the slashed ball, showing the resilience of the pro-life group. 

In the images, students can be seen defiantly continuing to sign the ball even after the attack. 

The pro-life advocates promptly patched up the cut and reinflated the ball, demonstrating their unwavering commitment to free speech and their cause.

Arctic Students for Life President, Mady Weeks, expressed her surprise at the incident, stating, “We were surprised it even happened; we thought people would be excited to be able to write whatever they wanted on the ball.” 

Despite this setback, Weeks emphasized the group’s determination, revealing plans to roll out a second Free Speech Ball around campus later in the year, regardless of the challenges posed by winter weather or additional protestors.

The incident, although deeply concerning, has not shaken the university’s commitment to the free flow of information and ideas. 

Campus police and administrative staff were present during the event, though no conflicts were witnessed, and no reports of vandalism were received. 

The university reaffirmed its dedication to resolving interpersonal conflicts and ensuring that diverse opinions are respected.

In the face of adversity, the Arctic Students for Life exemplify the strength of their convictions, proving that their commitment to the pro-life cause and free speech cannot be undermined by acts of vandalism. 

Their resilience serves as an inspiration to pro-life Americans, encouraging them to continue their fight for the sanctity of life and the freedom to express their beliefs.

Pro-Life Press will keep you up-to-date on any developments to this ongoing story.